This textbook is tailored for those educational
programs, such as Economics and Management,
which include a first (and frequently the
only) course of Mathematics. We have selected some
topics which we consider to be fundamental, if not
mandatory, for these students:
• the knowledge of Calculus, for functions of one and
• the use of Calculus in optimization;
• the notion of integral for functions of one variable;
• the language and the elementary techniques of
• the basics of Financial Calculus.
Several preliminary examples from applied sciences
(mainly from Economics) introduce the theoretical aspects.
We have tried to avoid an excessive formalism,
in order to quickly reach the fundamental concepts